CISAR offers two travel grants, one in the fall and another in the winter, each worth $500. Students attending a scholarly conference related to their graduate work are eligible to apply. The student should apply to the Director of the Centre with the acceptance letter and the abstract of their paper presentation. After they have attended the conference, they should submit the relevant air ticket and boarding passes. Any UBC graduate student from Humanities and Social Sciences working on South Asia is eligible. Recipients of the grant will be ineligible for a second grant.
Nehru Humanitarian Award in Memory of Prem Goel
Sameer Shah has been awarded The Nehru Humanitarian Award 2017. Read more.
2017 Nehru Award announcement:
Click here for more information
The Nehru Humanitarian Award is a competitive grant awarded annually to the graduate student with the most promising research on a topic related to South Asia. Students submit a statement of research outlining the objectives, methods and significance of their graduate work. An inter-disciplinary committee of UBC faculty members adjudicates the award on the behalf of CISAR. The Nehru Humanitarian Fellowship is made possible by a grant made to CISAR in the memory of Prem K. Goel by the Goel Foundation, Vancouver.
- 2016: Helina Jolly, PhD Candidate, IRES
- 2015: Julie Vig, PhD Candidate, Asian Studies
- 2014: Kamal Arora, PhD Candidate, Anthropology
- 2013: Douglas Ober, PhD Candidate, Asian Studies
- 2012: Glen Hamburg, MA Asia Pacific Policy Studies. Topic: Identity and Human Security Issues in the India-Bangladesh Enclaves
- 2011: Somaditya Banerjee, Doctoral student in History. Topic: Bhadralok Physics and the Establishment of Modern Science in India (1900-1940)
- 2010: M. Anwar Hossen, UBC Okanagan doctoral student. Topic: Water policy and governance in rural Bangladesh
Globalink Research Award
Mitacs Globalink Research Award provides senior undergraduate and graduate students funding of $5000 for a 12 to 24 week research project in India. Applicants must identify and work with a host university sponsor as well as a home faculty sponsor.
Please click here for more information.